Oh, I recognized this from the first quote, but I didn't want to go to the effort to find a new quote (sad, I know, but a half-hour lunch break isn't that much time to search for things)... it's one of my favorites to re-read. smile

Okay, found a quote, so... this was Irene Dutch's funny & touching The Spying Game.

New quote:

The sonic boom overhead was hardly unexpected, despite Smallville's being hundreds of miles from the nearest airport or military base.

Bob Jenkins glanced up at the sky, then said, "It looks like Clark is visiting the Kents again."

"Do they really think they're fooling anyone?" Bob's best friend, Joe Peterson, set his post hole digger into the ground and leaned against it. "What with government men looking for spaceships the year that Clark was born, that nutcase Trask kidnapping the Kents for Kryptonite, and that whole Nor thing?"
laugh

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K