So I just spent the last half hour looking for that quote, only to get scooped... darn! goofy I knew it was a Life in a Different World, but I wasn't sure which one, which slowed me down.

And then I thought and thought about what new quote to use....

However, that's okay, 'cause I recognize the new quote, too laugh

Home, by Nan Smith

So, my quote:

The idea that his presence was making her unhappy was unbearable for Clark. He didn't understand how it had happened, but somehow, over the last week, she must have fallen out of love with him. Before last week, they couldn't get enough of each other and there weren't enough hours in the day for all the things they wanted to say and do. But since then she'd been moody and distracted, and just wanted to be alone.

Despite himself, Clark found himself swiping at his eyes with his free hand. Darn it, he was not going to cry. If she didn't love him anymore, he would take it like a man. If she no longer wanted to be with him, well, he would let her go. He would simply start over somewhere else, the way he'd done a dozen times before he'd come to Metropolis. He'd be just fine ...

Clark took a shaky breath. Who was he kidding? His heart would shatter into a million pieces and he would never be the same again.
PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K