And another ASU rewrite that I have read many times: LabRat's splendid Are You Lonesome Tonight?

Try this wonderful one...

Lois paused as if considering the possibility. "You know, I've heard Dan's still available," she finally said.

"Scardino?" Clark gasped.

Lois nodded. "Maybe you'd like me to give him a call. He asked me to marry him, you know," she added. If he was really going to stick to this outrageous idea, she was determined that he not be able to hide behind platitudes. She was determined to make him understand exactly what he was suggesting.

"He asked you to marry him?" Clark asked. This was the first he was hearing of this.

Lois nodded. "When I told him I couldn't see him any more. I wonder if he'd be interested," she mused.

Clark felt his stomach clench into a tight ball. It was hard enough thinking about Lois with another man in abstract terms, but to have her put a name and face on that man was almost too much to bear. Why was she tormenting him like this? He had despised Scardino when he'd pursued Lois years ago. The thought of her in a relationship with Scardino, the thought of Scardino raising his child, was agonizing torture.

"Lois, don't please," he pleaded.
Kathy

EDIT: Sorry, I see that Arawn nipped in just ahead of me. Consider my quote as bonus points...

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5