I'm here with another clue!
Later in the story:

She wasn't going back to the airport?!

Lois noticed Clark's dumbfounded look and spoke up. "You don't mind an uninvited guest, do you Clark?"

Clark could only shake his head. Did this mean what he thought ... hoped ... it meant?

"You see, Clark," she told him, just a little too reasonably, "there wasn't another flight to Metropolis available until Monday. Isn't that incredible?"

Lois was looking at him with a provocative little smile that drew a responding grin from him. "Unbelievable, actually."

She wrinkled her nose at him, which made his eyes light up. "Hey, it could happen!" she exclaimed defensively. "Anyway," she resumed her poor-orphan-unfairly-cast-upon-the- cruel-world act, "I didn't know *what* I was going to do. I mean, I'd already checked out of my hotel."

For someone who was new at this teasing game, Clark reflected, Lois had sure caught on fast. She must be a very quick study. But, good performance or not, he couldn't let her score all the points, so he put a sympathetic expression on his face and said in his most helpful tone of voice, "Well, you've come to the right place, Lois. I'd be happy to help you find another hotel."

Perry gave a brief burst of laughter, but it wasn't heeded by the other two who were fairly joined in their game, spurred on by their excitement at the unlooked-for prospect of extra days spent in each others' company.

She appeared to ignore his offer. "Besides, I'm just *exhausted* after the convention and Diane's snoring. What I think I need are a few days in the country."

"I didn't know you knew anyone who lives in the country, Lois."

"I thought maybe I could stay at ... I don't know, a farm maybe ...?" She glanced up at him through her lashes, but all the response she got was a grin and one eyebrow raised in inquiry.

"I think a farm would be just what the doctor ordered," she reiterated. "Peace and quiet -- "

"Roosters," Clark supplied helpfully. "And crickets -- really loud ones, and tractors. Let's not forget the tractors ..."

"Plenty of fresh air, great views," Lois continued, unheeding.

"Breakfast at dawn. Supper at 6. In bed by 8."

"Relaxation."

"Chores. Lots of 'em."

Lois opened her mouth to counter, but Perry jumped in first. "I think I'll leave you two to work this out," he interjected with a grin and a wave.
Quite long, but it's a so nice scene!
This wonderful fanfic is a Kerth Winner!

simona smile