Oh! This is the fabulous An Affair to Remember by David, one of the best "All Shook Up" rewrites ever!

And this is fabulous too!

"Lois, was I - I mean, before, did I..." he paused and then sighed. "Did I have a lot of...girlfriends? Before?"

Lois blinked, taken aback by the question. "Uh...well...not that I ever noticed," she confessed.

The answer seemed to dismay Clark even more. His face slumped. "I wasn't...overly religious. Was I?"

"Not that you ever said." She was watching him steadily now. She moved to sit down beside him, reaching out to put a hand against his knee. Given the nature of the turbulent thoughts rolling chaotically through his head, it was a touch too intimate by far for Clark. He jerked sharply, wincing, and focused on her abruptly from the distance his thoughts had taken him to, looking suddenly like a startled bear.

"Clark, what's wrong?" Lois said, growing worried now.

"Nothing!" He pasted a wide and, he suspected, completely unconvincing, smile on his face. "Nothing." He put his hand over hers and patted it soothingly. Lois glanced down at the movement, paternal in nature, and then back up to his face with a quirked brow. Clark withdrew his hand, awkwardly. And then, suddenly, as he looked into her face, like a ray of sunlight breaching through heavy cloud, he found a single moment of clarity among his confused thoughts. And, for perhaps one of the very few times in his life - he seemed to instinctively understand - he said something without thinking about it first, without weighing the consequences or wondering if it was right. Maybe it was just the night for it.
simona wink