Thought I'd change the quotes game, a bit, if that's okay?
Well you people can do what you want, but the reason I started this thread in the first place was to get people to share passages they found memorable. Partly as a tribute to the writers but mostly I wanted to see if I missed anything. I wanted the quote to make people go Wow! Which story is that? Please someone tell me what it is so I can check it out! smile1

That’s the way I would like it. Restricting it to the opening line would make it less likely that a passage that really touched someone got quoted.

Incidentally CC, that was one of those stories I missed, The Tower of Babble by Paul-Gabriel Wiener it has more going for it then it's opening line.

Check out this one from the same story:

Clark looked out the window and started counting snowflakes as they drifted by. He'd picked out 52 before the next one looked oddly familiar. In fact, it looked an awful lot like snowflake #17. Could it be? ... No, wait. They weren't identical, after all. #17 had a spike that was three thousandths of an inch longer.
laugh

Been dying to give this one a go:

"Don't be ridiculous, Clark!" she snapped.
"I think I know the difference between you and..."

Her voice died in her throat. He was standing a step below her, and his face was nearly on a level with hers. It was white and apprehensive... and totally serious.

"Do you, Lois?" he said when she didn't continue. "What's the difference between me and Superman?"

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...