In the interest of fairness there's been quite a bit of "flaming" towards Obama on the boards, definitely more hostility towards him than towards Palin, so I do think that the defensiveness is a bit uneven.
That's an interesting observation. My perception of this thread and other political threads on these boards is that there has been very little flaming of either Obama or Pailin. Of course, there has been criticism of both candidates, but that's to be expected in discussions of this sort.

Also it strikes me that there has been not been substantially more hostility to one candidate than another. It may be, Alcyone, that you percieve that there has been more toward Obama because he has been a candidate for a much longer time than has Palin and so there have been more comments about him? Just a thought.

Actually I haven't detected much *hostility* (although there has been some) -instead, what I have sensed is a respect by most commentators for the 'other' side's candidate even as they critique that person.

This is not to say that some people haven't offered up quickly written and unsupported generalizations, both for or against either candidate, but that's the nature of mbs , here or elsewhere. MSM too.

Also, these "hasty generalizations" have hardly ever crossed the line into "flames", imo.

btw , and this is very OT, are sites like Salon, Huffington Post, etc now considered MSM? (I have such a short attention span these days smile )

c.

"Sir, I disagree with what you have said but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
(attributed to Voltaire)