I meant to say that pro-life attitudes, to me, go against women's rights, so the fact that she's a woman isn't doing much good (IMO) for women's rights if that's what she's going to promote.
Ah, okay. I thought, after I posted, that this was probably what you meant, but thanks for clearing that up.

What I said, regarding this possible Republican ploy is actually not my own theory on the matter <g> but something I saw mentioned on LiveJournal. It's entirely possible that McCain thinks she's the best person for the job.
Oh, well, if LiveJournal says so, who am I to argue? goofy

Seriously, I can't think of anyone who would be a better pick for the position. All the men who'd been speculated about had various drawbacks, and Palin's got a "maverick" reputation/record that McCain would have to identify with.

And obviously she's wildly popular with the Republican base, so she's doing good so far.

I've never seen such excitement over a running mate choice as there is now around Palin, and it seems to me that her gender is a large part of that. It's almost as if the race is really Obama vs. Palin.
Yeah, isn't it funny? I guess she's encroaching on his celebrity status. wink

And yeah, her gender is part of the excitement. I see her as a strong, self-made woman, and McCain is the guy who's not at all threatened by that, so that reflects well on him.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K