Alcyone,

re: elitism
But whether this is true or not is a matter of perception.
Very true; there's no scientific test for it or anything laugh And it surely shouldn't be one's only criteria when deciding who to vote for. Nonetheless, in certain (largish) circles of American politics "elitism" is the kiss of death.

Perception of a public figure is formed by a mix of the person's public persona, policy positions, and who he/she chooses to spend time with, etc. And, anti-Obama types must be hoping, by repeated accusations thereof. wink It's actually more rational than it might seem, as certain traits cluster together, and this is a handy shortcut to describe them. Like calling President Bush a cowboy. One word, but with a rich group of connotations -- arrogant, cocky, foolishly agressive, loner, stupid, hick from the sticks, etc, etc. I'm sure you know what I mean.

It's the same sort of thing with the "seems down-to-earth" judgment of Sarah Palin. There are a number of facts and traits that come together to form that impression. We could list them, you could argue them, but in the end... it's a "you know it when you see it" sort of thing. goofy but as I said above, there are a lot of factors going into that perception, underneath the surface.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K