Julie,

I respect your stand on women's rights; I'm in favor of them, myself smile The devil's in the details.

But I'm not going to argue about that. Just like to point out -- we Repubs have had "pro-life" presidents for how many decades now? And the difference this has made is...? :rolleyes:

And keep in mind, it's very likely going to be a solid Democratic congress. So whether you think it's a good thing or a bad thing, the fact is that Roe v. Wade is not going anywhere anytime soon.

For the last week, I've been hanging out on a new message board -- www.govpalin.com -- that was founded by Hillary supporters -- it's an offshoot of www.hillaryclintonforum.net , where I've been lurking. They are very furious and disgusted with the sexism that was aimed against Hillary during the primaries, and with the sexism from the same sources that's now going after Governor Palin. There seem to be a lot of women there who've decided to vote Republican for the first time in their lives (there's a lot of comments on the theme of "I never thought I'd do this, but..."). They do not like the "pro-life" thing but have decided to overlook it, partly for the reasons I stated above.

Also, they figure that if Obama wins, Hillary won't get another chance til 2016, whereas if McCain gets in, she can run again in 2012. Very pragmatic, those ladies <g>

On a slightly different note -- I saw a radio interview by a local station (they video taped it, too) from the Republican convention. They were talking to two die-hard Hillary supporters who, on their way home from Denver, heard the slime being thrown at Gov. Palin and decided to find Minneapolis, to offer their support. They'd been working on the trail for Hillary for over a year, they said.

One of them argued that if Sarah Palin is attacked and brought down by sexist attacks (the way Hillary was), and if the Democratic party can abuse women and still get their votes anyway, then how many decades will it be before *anyone* nominates another woman on a national ticket? Geraldine Ferraro ran in '84 -- 24 years ago.

So here's me, life-long Republican, hanging out with life-long Democrats. On a *political* forum. (L&C has always been a model of non-partisan drooling) It's a weird political season goofy

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K