(I really need to start looking for facts myself instead of being swayed by arguments and being convinced that neither party should be in office...
I started with Wikipedia's rundown as a primer here --it's a good stepping stone to other information. There's a lot of juicy stuff there--a brief history, links to watchdog groups, etc.

The often quoted one I've seen was done by the American Society of Newspaper Editors in 1997, 61% of reporters stated that they were members of or shared the beliefs of the Democratic Party. Only 15% say their beliefs were best represented by the Republican Party.[15] This leaves 24% undecided or Independent. (from Wikipedia) There are tons of others, but the results are more or less the same.

It's always a good idea to try to read/watch from a variety of sources (then see who convices you) as opposed to holding out for a strictly unbiased view IMO. I think that sometimes the identity of the person writing an editorial is more important than the publication itself too.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png