And in the UK and Ireland (can't speak for the rest of Europe) we've been using electric kettles for years. Hardly anyone uses stove-top kettles any more, and you never find electric kettles shaped to look like stove-top ones, yet these seem to be the majority of electric kettles on the American side of the Atlantic.
Yeek. I can't even imagine using an electric kettle, but that's just me. Of course, I've never even seen one. I used to make my tea in the microwave, and still do when I go visiting, but I love my stovetop kettle. *pets it*

Restrooms are also a US thing. I guess someone, somewhere, figured it was more polite than bathrooms. Though some restaurants get creative for the men/women's signs on the door. I know instead of Women's or Ladies, Outback uses Sheilas. laugh And I haven't figured out how to read properly in the bath yet. Even with wiping my hands on towels, the book still gets wet. I'm trying to figure out how to use the laptop there, though. wink

About the jam/jelly - I always considered jelly to be that thing they call Jell-O. Jell-O is not the correct name, but only the brand name of it which stuck - the technical name is jelly. Jam is what you put on toast or bread and sometimes have with peanut butter (though I never tried that combination and don't intend to).
Actually, the technical name is gelatin. Jell-O Brand Gelatin. Though I prefer their chocolate pudding. Yum. To me, jelly is fruit spread with no real fruit. Jam is made with real fruit.

"You need me. You wouldn't be much of a hero without a villain. And you do love being the hero, don't you. The cheering children, the swooning women, you love it so much, it's made you my most reliable accomplice." -- Lex Luthor to Superman, Question Authority, Justice League Unlimited