A variety of unrelated comments here...

1) Poutine. We were completely stumped when we first saw poutine appearing on fast-food outlet menus in Canada (four years ago). It's not cheese and gravy on top of chips, Rat; it's cheese curds. razz It's a Québec thing. Never been tempted to try it! goofy

2) Entrées. That term is used on many restaurant menus in the US, Paul - just about any table-service restaurant I've been to. And I can never figure out why 'entrée' is used to mean main course! It would make sense for an entrée to be a starter/appetiser, given the meaning of the word. Its use for a main course makes no sense at all!

3) College/university. While 'university' is more frequently used in the UK, people do also talk about 'college' when meaning a university. Some UK universities are organised on the 'college system' - in other words, the university is divided into several colleges. Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, the University of London and the University of Wales are among those organised that way. I did my degrees at Trinity College, Dublin, and would always say that I was going in to college, not to university, when leaving the house. But what I can't understand is why Americans refer to universities as schools. confused To me, a school is something one attends between the ages of 4 or 5 up to between 16-18.

There may have been more that I intended to comment on, but can't remember at the moment! Fascinating thread! smile

Wendy smile

Just a fly-by! *waves*