</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif"> "I quite enjoyed it."

- to me, all mean that the thing being described was just okay. Somewhat good. Acceptable. But I am aware that North Americans who have described a story part as 'quite good' mean it as a compliment. Go figure! goofy If I said, "Wow! That was quite good," well...that would mean I'd thought about it and while it may be good, it just didn't move me all that much.

I noticed once or twice that someone (think it was Wendy wink ) said "on second thoughts." I wondered if maybe it was a typo at the time, but now I'm not so sure. Here in the US, we say "on second thought."

A few I learned and was quite amused with (okay...in *that* case, "quite" is a good thing wink ) when I met a British friend:

UK: jelly
US: jello (you know the jiggly gelatin laugh )

UK: swimming costume
US: bathing suit

(you know...for some reason, though it makes me snicker, the UK version sounds like a more intelligent description...cause, come on, who really wears their bathing suit to take a bath? :rolleyes: )

Loving this thread, Lynn...and I was jawdrop when I saw that there were 30 more posts by the time I got home! <g>

Sara (who is really *quite* sleep deprived and *should* go to bed...yeah, that'll happen! laugh )

Kerth nominations are opening on March 3!
🏆2024 Kerth Award Posts 🏆.

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, the show, life, and more!

You can also find me on Tumblr and AO3.