In my city there are many accents. Not from the immigrants, but we have the North Ender accent as they call it. It seems to be in more prevelent in Native groups and any people who .... I guess really are poor or those who live out of the city in some areas and more prevelent in blue collared work. Sometimes I find myself talking like that because I live right by that area and a lot of people I interact with are from there. A lot more 'ehs. A lot of "ya 'eh" "hey". It is more of a sterotypical Cdn accent - well one of the types. Teased as being backwoodish/backwards. The jaw is more rigid. You say things with an upward...can't think of the word. It is like you are constantly in the motion of asking a question! Almost like valley-girl speak.

"You wanna go to da Nordern, eh?
"You want to go to the Northern?" It's a bar in on Main Street. Not a good area. My bus goes through there. It used to be called one of the worst streets in Canada. A drunk lady would routinely ask me when I used to talk the bus to university. Joy.

Some people moved in next to me when I was a kid and I picked up the accent like it was nothing and my Mum got mad at me for it. She was worried about people thinking I was stupid. That is one of the sterotypes with that type of North Ender accent. You are Native, stupid and on welfare. Totally not a fair assessement.

One slight swing on that accent has it being really choppy. I think it is b/c of one of the Cree languages. I think that one was really choppy and well you know what happens with accents.

Slangs, wording ... was totally different. I wish I could remember some of them.

I'm sure everyone knows that here we have people who talk differently in Quebec to those who live in the Atlantic Provinces (different ones there). Those ones I find neat. Newfoundlanders are just crazy! It's cool. The way they say their sentences and the phrases they have are just so different. They where mostly the butt of all jokes as Cda grew up. It isn't as popular with the yonger sect.

I was told that I refer to my bathroom in an odd way. So I looked it up:

4 Piece Bath

Another real estate term this month!
Here bathrooms are referred to as "full" or "half". A full can include a shower and/or a bathtub. A half refers to a bathroom with just a toilet and sink. In Canada, bathrooms are referred to as a
2 piece = a sink and toilet
3 piece = a sink, toilet, shower
4 piece = a sink, toilet, shower, and bathtub
Much more descriptive!
I notice that is starting to fade out. There have been articles written that voice the concern that we are losing our identity - our words, the way we say stuff and the way we talk.

Does that sounds odd to any Americans or people over the pond? The bathroom stuff I mean.

How about "ABM"? No, it doesn't stand for "A Bowel Movement" it means "Automated Banking Machine". In the USA it is referred to as an "ATM" or "Automatic Teller Machine".

I had an American penpal who thought this was weird: Anglophone: This term refers to a Canadian who's native or first language is English.

Does anyone have anything similar in their country?

I'm sorry to continue, but I really want to know!

How about:
Duo-Tang: A paper notebook, similar to a double pocket portfolio but it has 3 metal prongs in the center. Each prong has 2 pieces of metal that fit through the 3 ring paper holes. Spread the prongs apart or bend them down to hold the paper in place. Perfect for school reports!
Do you call it that?

How about: Ensuite, entree (I've heard you should say meal instead in the States or else you'll get a blank stare), homo milk, a micky, poutine, serviette.

I wanted to know about the accents b/c I didn't know if my views of accents being so vastly different where just part joke or whole truth. I always found history (and all of it's realted stuff - linguistics) so cool, so I wanted to know.

How about - I'm going to the Vendor so I can get a 2 4. You need it when you watch some shimmy.

If you are Newfoundland:
I'll be dere da rackley
means
I'll be there in a few minutes

Idn't dat fulish bye => (Isn't that foolish...and of course we Newfies say bye at the end of many phrases, instead of the eh associated with Canadians!)

I swear that Newfies have the shortest conversation in the world, all of two words, that mean a mouthful!

I want to know what this would mean to you:
Good morrow to you.

Well apparently it means "You are mistaken" in NFLD.

To me it meant - good morning.

Gee...I guess I'm trying to make this post go on forever without even trying. I'm soooo sorry I keep babbeling and going off on a tangent. I just get so excited and start to think.

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.