As for Pubs, I have yet to see one outside the UK. They're not really bars. They're sort of bar/family restaurant hybrids, basically (weird, but it works... you just have to watch out for transition hours). With dark atmospheres and high wooden booths (for maximum privacy... so you can talk with your family or friends without being bothered by other conversations). They serve basic food like pies. Not dessert pies, but dinner pies. Pasties (meat in pastry), Shepherd's pie, Steak and Kidney Pie, etc. Sort of like hamburgers are served in some bar/restaurants here.
Actually, pub is a generic term which covers every kind of bar under the sun. The ones you describe above, Paul, but also the typically US bar type, workman's pubs where the stench of beer hits you in the face when you go through the door and it's all a little seedy <g>, and country pubs where the atmosphere is old horse brasses and log fires. Among many other types, up and down the country.

Although I think pub as a term is fading out of fashion these days. I still hear people saying they're "Nipping down to the local" but I hear them saying less these days, "I'm going down the pub." But that could be a regional thing.

The tea thing was interesting - and seems to be down to personal taste rather than a US/UK difference. I gave up tea a couple of years back - apparently the tanin in it is bad for your blood pressure. Now, I drink cupasoup instead. As far as I know there is no ritual about how to make that, so it's a lot more boring a subject for discussion. goofy Funny thing is, after years of drinking tea, after not having any for a couple of months I couldn't bear the taste of it when I had to revert to it one day after running out of cupasoup. Have never been able to drink it since.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers