Vicki said
PS - As long as I'm here, can anyone explain what a solicitor is? Is it just another word for lawyer, or is there a difference between the two?
And Mere said
The idea of a solicitor coming to the door (to force you to write your will, or what?) still tickles me pink.
I know it's already been explained, but I wanted to add that I'm pretty sure that solicitor has rarely ever been used in the US to denote a lawyer/attorney. Over here, it pretty much means "unwanted salesman." wink And Lynn said that people put signs up that say "no solicitors"-- that's also true of businesses and the entrances to subdivisions. Nobody wants someone going door to door "soliciting" business.

(... Now that I think about it, based on Lynn's description of "lawyer", I guess they chase ambulances to solicit business.) wink I, too, have always thought that "attorney" sounds better. About the only place I ever see the word "barrister" outside of the UK is when we refer to "barrister bookcases"-- which, of course, are those glass-fronted bookcases attorneys use!

Here's one that's totally incorrect, but pretty common over here-- adults and children use it--
Instead of "another whole" something or other, lots of people split the word "another" and say "a whole nother" which always cracks me up. I bet that's not said in the UK?

And you guys have been saying that you might "go round to" someone's house, or that there are roses "round the door"-- we'd say "around the door" and "go around to" (althought that latter isn't used much here, I think). I hear "go round" more as a description of another "round" of whatever-- a fight, another try at something: lets have another "go round".

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler