Anna,

At some point in time, I was also taught the rule about not putting prepositions at the end of sentences. But rules are made to be broken, right? For whom are these flowers? sounds odd and stilted. Who are these flowers for? sounds natural and 'right', even though it is technically 'wrong'.

Funny you should bring up realise/realize, because just yesterday I was reading a story with that word in it (sorry, I can't remember which one), and the way it was spelled just looked funny to me. But, since I am a notoriously poor speller, I didn't think anything of it. I didn't realize that this was another UK/US thing.

The expression your aunt used was to "get the better of someone". I didn't know that this was a uniquely American expression.

Finally, I've only ever heard "off my chest", never "off of my chest".

- Vicki

PS - As long as I'm here, can anyone explain what a solicitor is? Is it just another word for lawyer, or is there a difference between the two?

PPS - What I just wrote brings something else to mind. I said "a uniquely". Would UK English use "an uniquely" or no? I know my KJV Bible says things like "an unicorn" but I don't know if that is an archaic usage or not.

"Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster and what has happened once in 6,000 years, may not happen again. Hold on to the Constitution" - Daniel Webster