This whole lawyer/solicitor thing is interesting.

First, I'm LOL over Mere's comment:
The idea of a solicitor coming to the door (to force you to write your will, or what?) still tickles me pink.
That is a very funny visual. Here, the word solicitor firmly calls to mind for me an unwanted sales person. So often stores and homes will put stickers on their doors stating "No soliciters allowed."

As for lawyer versus attorney, this might just be me, but for some reason lawyer sounds...smarmier than attorney. My brother is an attorney, and I usually state it that way - My brother is an attorney - because to say that he's a lawyer always invites images of ambulance-chasing sleaze bags. For some completely illogical and inexplicable reason, IMO attorney sounds less so. I know, silly.

I do like the word "barrister" but because it is so close to the word "bannister" I always do a double take when I see it. Your brother is a bannister? Ohhh...a barrister! LOL!

This is a wonderful conversation. Thanks to all of you for picking it up and running with it...

Lynn

You know that boy'd walk on water for you? Or he'd drown tryin'. -Perry White to Lois in Just Say Noah