I think the most surprising thing this thread has shown me is how many phrases Americans think are commonly used today in the UK, but which - for me at least - are very old-fashioned and haven't been used for decades.

Call on is a good example. It could just be my neck of the woods, of course <G>, and other regions of the UK may vary. Language varies throughout the UK as much as it does through the various US states.

But for me - I think using call on in Paul's context was last heard in the '50's, wasn't it? It's more likely you'll hear someone say, "I visited Carol last week." or "Popped in to see John the other day."

I thought I'd dealt with the 'unresolved questions' you mention from SOMH, Paul. Apologies if I somehow missed that back there in the fdk folders. Minor UK/US variations in perception/vocabularly aside, I'm of the opinion that the meaning of both examples should be clear from the context in which they are used. So I don't anticipate there being enough reader confusion to warrant my changing anything with them. smile

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers