Yes, you sent me a nice PM thanking me for my apology. It was not necessary but it was appreciated. However, you have yet to actually admit that you made a mistake, too. It's one thing to accept an apology, another to make one of your own. But yes, I was perfectly happy to say that was that. We had a misunderstanding, it was cleared up, we moved on.

That's the way to do it, and that's why I brought it up. Pressing the issue only makes it worse. Which is why I'm not going to rehash the details here. I'm only pointing to it as an example, and to remind you that there are two sides to every issue.

quote: Nor have you indicated in any of your posts that you understand what she was actually saying.

Honestly, I'm not sure what you're referring to here.
You said:

Nor has she, in any of her posts that replied to mine, indicated that she is aware that what my my argument was:
I was responding to that, saying that I don't see why it's necessary for her to do so.

Again, I was pointing to a similar situation in which you were on the other side. You responded to Alcyone, but she pointed out that you hadn't understood her properly. You haven't acknowledged that you understand what she actually meant. But there's no reason to do so. As I keep saying, the best thing to do when something like this happens is to acknowledge that there was a misunderstanding (which, technically, you also have yet to do) and let that be the end of it.

But I see you've edited your post while I was writing mine:

I did not falsely accuse her of calling me a rascist.
In fact, you did accuse her of calling you a racist. And, in fact, she has specifically stated that you misinterpreted her words, and that she did not call you a racist. You read her as saying something she didn't mean. You made a mistake. It happens. But that mistake led you to accuse her of something which she did not actually do.

If you want to demand a further apology from her, then it's only fair to ask that you apologize for your part.

But again... Pressing the issue isn't going to get us anywhere good. The best thing to do is acknowledge the mistakes and move on.

Which is exactly what Alcyone has said she wants to do. Which is why she's not posting further about it. She said she made a mistake. She accepted responsibility for it. She specifically said that she did not intend the implications that you read in her (admittedly poorly phrased) words. And then she withdrew from the subject. I don't see that anything further is necessary, and, as I've said, it's my repeated experience that dragging it out further, even with the best of intentions, will only make things worse.

Now, I think we've prolonged this quite enough, letting this thread get mired in mistakes and bad feelings. If you'd like to continue this discussion, we can do it privately.

For what it's worth, a bit of personal advice... This isn't the first time you've taken offense where none was intended. I think you'll find that if you give people the benefit of the doubt rather than assuming the worst possible interpretation of their words, life will be much better for you and everyone else. And when someone tells you that you misinterpreted them and the offensive implication was not in any way intended, I find it's best to take them at their word and move on.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.