Thanks for the links. I'd checked the NY Times, as well as the Washington Post and LATimes, Slate and Salon before I posted my question.

The 2 links above focus on the overall theology that is being expounded by that Church and also by Wright. But they omit the political comments Wright has made and it's some of those that are troubling, (like "God Damn America") not because he doesn't have the right to say those things (he does!) , but because Obama regarded him as a "close personal/ spiritual confidant". He's used both terms, as well as referring to Wright as a mentor.

Would you regard someone as a close personal confidant if you did not approve of some of the things he said and advocated? The close, personal nature of that relationship is what is significant on this case. How do you chose a spiritual advisor?

I would not be concerned if Obama had been just a casual churchhgoer - not giving much thought to what's being said or usually not going, but that's not the case.

The other aspect of this relates to Obama's platform - he stresses harmony and condemns "divisiveness" yet Wright's rhetoric is divisive within the context of the larger American community.

Mr. Obama says now that he was not aware of those things, but that now that he is , he disavows them. But how could he not be aware, given the circumstances?

As well, since Clinton is blamed by most in the media for things her supporters say, I'm trying to understand why Obama isn't. Why the imbalance? They used to call Reagan the Teflon Man because nothing stuck to him. It's beginning to look like Obama has picked up that label smile

Roger said:
I've never cared for when the press does this whole guilt-by-association with a politician.
I mostly agree with this. (I can always think of an exception smile say if candidate X was hanging out with Adolf Hitler every Saturday night laugh ) I do think the press gets carried away with it. Even worse, they take so much out of context and don't use consistent standards when reporting this sort of thing.

I agree with Alcyone's implication that Wright and Ferraro are of similar significance but the difference is the attention the media pays.

c.