Would you regard someone as a close personal confidant if you did not approve of some of the things he said and advocated?
Yes. Not quite the same, but one of my old best friends, a close personal confidant, is... get this... a republican! And I didn't even know it for years. We talked about a lot of things, but, keeping to that handy rule of friendship, avoided getting too much into politics. Of course, once I found out... we were still friends. She advocates stuff I don't agree with, but she's still a good friend. ... Actually, that happened with more than one good friend. It's weird, I know.

As well, since Clinton is blamed by most in the media for things her supporters say
Both Clinton and Obama have had supporters/staffers say things that got them in trouble. And those people have left the campaign. There was a whole trail of them for a while. But, like I said... I don't think it's entirely fair to hold them accountable for what their supporters say.

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.