We know the specifics of our election. It was clearly not fraud. In the case of Venezuela, and I take it that's the country you were referring to in your analogy, there were documented cases of fraud. If it's true, then it's par for the course and nobody blinks an eye. If it's false, it still isn't our business who some other country votes on to be their leader. The United States has a reputation for fair elections. True or not, it takes a lot of evidence to prove it wasn't. There wasn't any. If the foreign press tried to paint it as a stolen election for Bush and that somehow fraud occurred, then the foreign press was irresponsible given the available evidence by the US press. The US press didn't think there were any irregularities and everyone knows the US government has no say over what the press says. Just look at the New York Times which tries to expose a secret government program seemingly every other week. Why would the foreign press think there was fraud?

In a country like Venezuela that isn't entirely free, fraud is expected. If it happens, then it happens. If it doesn't, it doesn't. If the press had said there were no irregularities, then I would have no proof of fraud and would have nothing further to say. A country like Mexico is famous for fraud. If it happens, nobody's surprised or upset about it, except for the losing opposition parties.

Now point me to another country like Great Britain, Canada, France, or Japan. If somebody alleges fraud, I wouldn't believe it unless it was incontrovertible since those countries have reputations for fair and honest elections.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin