I don't thing anyone here has called for Obama "to cut off any indication of roots". Let alone to imply that such a call is caused by a fear of complexity. Why would you say that?
First of all, I was responding to your post as much as I was to the whole media barrage about it. I could go into details about it, but there's no indication that you really want me to tackle this question, nor do I think it would do us any good.

When I wrote that I was not basing my reading on anything but the modes that people use to talk about race (at the level of discourse), particularly here in the US (which this election exhibits far and wide). I see some of that language in your post, certainly, and that's what I'm responding to as it echoes some of the language in a lot of the articles I've read.

Your interpretation of what I'm getting at, seems rather reductive ("suggesting racism in questioning Obama's choices"), which leads me to conclude that more than disagreeing, we're not understanding each other.

At these moments, it's good to stop. smile

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png