Originally posted by TOC:
What if someone tells the Bush administration that the Swedish government is about to build a bomb? Would you have the moral right to attack and bomb us if you want to, whether or not we have any weapons at all?
It all depends on the country. Tell me, would you personally rather have Sweden get the bomb or Iran? Would you rather Switzerland get the bomb or Syria? Americans wouldn't blink an eye if Sweden or Switzerland got the bomb. We wouldn't care because we know Swedes or Swiss aren't out to destroy western civilization. In our eyes, they're the good guys. We would certainly take notice if Syria or Iran got the bomb, countries that have both expressed the willingness and desire to do harm to us or our friends. That chant of, "Death to America! Death to the Great Satan!" certainly makes for a great slogan to make us raise an eyebrow and wonder at their intentions. The Swedish government would certainly take notice and start sweating if Iran suddenly set off a test bomb even if they are far down the list of potential attackees.

Britain and France have nuclear weapons. We don't have a problem with that. They're allies. No matter our disagreements of the day or whether we like each other or not at the moment, we always know that deep down we're friends. We'd prefer Russia and China not have the bomb but there's not much we could do about it. At the moment they are both considered partially allied and partially adversarial, not necessarily friends but not enemies.

From the tone of fear in your posts, it seems you think Americans can't tell the difference between friends and enemies and are frothing at the mouth just hoping to attack somebody. Are you really frightened that America would attack Sweden if they got the bomb? If I were a Swede I wouldn't. I certainly doubt the Swedish Prime Minister loses any sleep at night worrying about a B-2 bomber strafing Stockholm.

-- Roger

"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself." -- Benjamin Franklin