I think the main thing in this is how you view CK/Superman.
Obviously, Even though it’s not really mine idea. Superman has gone through many facelifts through the years, and in the recent incarnation of the comics third world disasters have gotten more important then the average bank robbery, or so I understand.

Also, if he did become actively involved in fighting hunger and disease in third world countries, how do you think that would affect him? He struggles with getting over disasters where he is unable to save a few. What do you think his reaction would be to viewing all the problems the world's less fortunate have?
That he would grin and bear it. To me that is greatness of the character, someone who lives in his own mind as much as in the physical reality. That was Lois realization in Ultrawoman, the hardest part of being Clark was all the things he couldn’t do, all the people he couldn’t help.
And it explains the importance Clark places on friends and family, with whom he sometimes can unload the world from his shoulders.

I do know you, and I know you wouldn't lie... at least to me...most of the time...