Regarding listening to suggestions from readers - don't feel obliged to change your story because of something said in fdk. It's your story, no one else's, and most important of all is that you are happy with it. But it's always a good idea to be gracious in listening to suggestions and if 99% of readers have the same suggestion or reservation about something you've written, you know, maybe they're on to something. <g> Anyway, that kind of discussion/debate fdk has always been the biggest part of the fun of posting a story on the forum, for me. So long as you understand that you don't have to accept them, you can have enormous fun debating them with your readers.
I completely agree. What I don't agree with is what I've seen of people saying things along the lines of "I don't like where this seems to be heading, so I don't think I'm going to read any more." I understand that other people might not think it's that big of a deal but it really, really irks me.

That sort of thing kills me because (1)the poster isn't letting the writer finish the story before judging it and (2)even the story seems to incorporate elements the reader really can't handle, to post something like that seems really rude. After all, what is the expectation? That the writer will somehow change everything for that reader? That the writer will be comforted by knowing that the reader left because they didn't like the direction of the story (as opposed to writing style, etc)? That sort of thing would be better off done through email/private message than posted on a public board.

I love debate, but I am also really respectful of writers, especially, and the time and effort they put into their stories (even if I fall under the feedback delinquent category *blush*). I understand that writers (or am under the impression) write first for themselves and *then* are kind enough to share it with me. Just that makes me always give the writer the benefit of the doubt when I approach their story--I'm looking at how they see things and I take for granted it won't be 100% in line with how I see things. If I have any opinions about a story, something that didn't appeal to me, etc, then I try to be open and if that doesn't work, then I quietly leave or if it's a little thing in a mountain of goodness then I mention it tactfully while focusing on the good. It's okay to say X aspect wasn't my cup of tea, but to flamboyantly announce your exit and wave it in a writer's face just seems really insensitive.

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png