And then there's me -- I've been in this fandom for eleven years now, and discussions like this tend to make me feel older than dirt goofy But in the nicest possible way!

But seriously, I think DS has nailed it -- your accumulated "fandom" experience makes every transition easier. I barely even remember feeling like a newbie in FOLCdom -- but I was in a format I already knew. <older than dirt>On CompuServe, they had a Sci-Fi Media forum, which had about 10 or 12 sections, each with their own show, chat room, and file library</older than dirt> I'd been very engaged in several of the sections already, so when I got hooked on L&C I had only a very small jump to make.

Now, I do remember *years* of feeling like a newbie on IRC smile All those commands and strange ways to talk... but that comfort level comes with time and practice. And FOLCs have always been very patient and helpful, in my experience.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K