However, the greater proportion of the stories cited on these lists *are* Kerth winners while most of the remaining stories are K nominees. So, I'm not sure these lists do succeed in looking beyond the Kerths to any great degree.
Interesting. I’m mostly just coming back to this thread, and I have to agree that most everything mentioned was from Kerth winners or nominees. Even the ones that aren’t on that list seem to be *mostly* (not all) from older authors / stories. There are some notable exceptions like Sue S.’ Faustian Bargain.

What I’m wondering is this (and I know it’s been said before): I wonder if newer authors are given a fair shake? It seems that most of the newer authors on this board are also getting feedback from the other newer folks. Of course that isn’t always true, but I wonder if some of the folks that are considered ‘icons’ ever take a look at some of the newer authors’ stories. I know they watch for new stories because I see them post when one of those other ‘icons’ post a story. By ‘icons’ I mean the great ‘older’
writers out there. The ones that have been around for many, many years. Yes, I know, I’ll probably be blasted for this, but I can’t help but wonder. (Yes, I’ve seen a couple of ‘icons’ post on newer stories, and I’m sure all of us authors have been extremely grateful.) I ask this because I see some fantastic stories that I don’t think are getting a fair shake. I know some of the newer folks don’t even know who the ‘icons’ are, but I’ve been a lurker for a long time, so I do. Do you know how much it would mean to the newer authors for one of you ‘icons’ to comment? Do you have any idea? (And you ‘icons’ know who you are.)

Let me give you just one example. Lara Moon just posted Reversal of Fortune I thought it was fantastic! And at the time of this posting no 'icons' had made any comments.

I’m sure I could come up with more, but this was the one that immediately came to mind.

And this list is kind of skewed towards Kerth nominees/winners because it's specifically looking for 'the classics'.
And yes, Lady Mirth asked about classics, but I just wondered about newer stories seemingly not getting the recognition they deserve.

I guess the only way to find out if the lists in this particular thread are atypical of the pattern here is to go back and check.
I don’t think it’s atypical at all.

Hell, if you aren't mentioned and you think your story was pretty dang awesome, tell us about it and toot your own horn. Cause, I'll go read it if you do. =P
All right, JoJo, this wasn’t my intention in saying what I said above, but I thought you said once that you read everything on this board. So have you read any of my stories? Yes, I know my monster fic does not include Lois and that turns many off. So I'll be brave and ask if you've read any of the others. Twisted ? What about Defeated ? I’ve been told that both are pretty good. (And not just by folks on this board.) Have you read anything by Woody? Bakasi? Olympe? Lara Moon? (Those are recent new authors that I remember off the top of my head.)

*whispers Irene Dutch's Second Generation stories are my most favorite of that genre ever. Go read them. Start with Firestorm. Am I the only one who kept hoping Lois and Clark would have another kid so she would write another story?*
I agree. Nan Smith’s Home series is pretty good, too.

Would anyone actually have enough confidence to do that if they hadn't been mentioned?
Probably not, but I did it anyway. blush blush
I just decided I'd go for it!!

As an aside, I wonder how long someone is considered new. Six months? A year?
Well, I’ve been lurking since 1998. But I didn’t start posting until July. So what does that make me. Newbie or oldie?

I've been around since 1990-something and, while I probably don't feel new any longer, neither do I feel like an oldie. It was something of a surprise - not to say rather flattering - to discover I'd been recommended in the 'old classics' thread.
Yvonne, you are ‘icon’. (And thank you for your kind comments to me.)

And these days, I'm kind of hanging around in this retarded jigsaw puzzle wondering if I have anything left to write about, wondering if I should sit back and see what several new authors are doing...and in general wondering if it's time to start lurking again.
Well, I’m sure you have plenty to write about. And I have seen you reading the newer stuff. Don’t lurk. It’s so much more fun to post.

LabRat, I don't find your stories at all inaccessible (though I freely admit I'd never heard the word 'timeously' and don't have the first clue what it means!) but I can almost always recognize when a writer is or isn't an American, and you were no exception. It's less to do with overt UKisms than subtle differences in syntax. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the story one whit, but I can usually spot it.
I agree. (And what does timeously mean?) I’ve also gotten so I can pick out German and Portuguese and Spanish writers, but do I care? Not one whit. (As I’ve said before, my biggest hang-up is folks who won’t even try to do things like use capitalization.)

But why would British readers get upset over Americanisms? Why not just enjoy the story? But then, too, if the British folks don’t tell somebody it’s an Americanism then how would you ever know? Some of them can be totally foreign. Do you know how many Americans know what a spanner is? Well, when I first heard it, I imagined everything under the sun - including an athletic supporter (as in spanning the matter) - but a wrench? I would have never guessed.

Which reminds me of one of the first serious papers I handed in to a full professor. It was returned to me with this scrawled at the bottom of the page halfway through: "Write like an American for God's sake!"
Sounds to me like he was being a jackass. Who cares as long as the paper was good? Reminds me of the professor I had that got mad because I objected to him cutting open a live mouse. He made my life hell, and since it was a small college, he was the only professor available for that particular class.

My gadfries, are there really Americans out there that don’t know that Thanksgiving is strictly an American holiday? Evidently so. And Scots speak Scottish, and Austrians speak Austrian, and Brazilians speak Brazilian. Arggghhh…..

By the by, I have embarrassed myself numerous times while in the UK by referring to my trousers as my pants, including one particularly memorable occasion involving an elderly gentleman at Kempton Park racecourse.
So I what exactly does pants mean in GB? Underwear?

I noticed that most of our UK writers don't use what we think of as typically British words, like "bloody" or "loo", but I did read a story least week in which Lois offered Clark "tea and biscuits"!
I’d just laugh and think it was cute. I’m pretty sure I read one where they had pie and chips. (I still don’t know what the heck that is.)

someone making smores or a grilled cheese sandwich,
rotflol Well, if Brits don’t eat these then they should!!! They are both wonderful.

having to pay at a hospital.
Unfortunately, yes, we Americans have to do that. I for one (and I’m a nurse) think we should get with it and have socialized medicine.

Wendy, what does LJ mean? I figured out that DW is Dr. Who.

In UK English, for example, everyday and every day are two different words with distinct meanings, but I notice in US English the first spelling is used for both.
What’s the difference?

Well, okay, then. I've put my foot in my mouth for the day.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~