I don't think the fact that I choose to write and post fan fiction should confer an obligation on someone else, especially if it's an obligation that for whatever reason makes them uncomfortable.
I didn’t mean this word in such a way as to confer the suggestion of an obligation. It would be nice if they posted.

There must have been a reason you lurked for nearly a decade. It might have been lack of time or shyness or a slow internet connection - I don't know you well enough to know - but the fact that you've now overcome whatever it was doesn't necessarily put everyone else in the same boat.
Shyness to the extreme. (As if anyone would believe that now since I have a big mouth.)

It seems all fandoms, based on what Sue has experienced elsewhere and what has happened in FoLCdom over the years, produce, at some times, in-groups and out-groups. Not sure why that happens, but it does, although those who are in the in-group always deny that there is an in-group while those who are not "in", ask the question, "So why do I feel like chopped liver then?"
Bingo. You got it, CC. (Yes, I know. Flog me now. But like I said, I’ve been lurking a looonnnnggg time.) I’m not so sure there is such a feeling of an in-group these days, though. I used to have those feelings a lot more. (And that may have been one of the reasons I lurked for so long. I felt I couldn’t possibly be accepted, but that was from my own short comings.) And then as I read more on this thread I see that CC has mirrored my words:

I agree with you - there's been quite a change in these boards in the last year, I think, and it's due to all those people who have called themselves "newbies" - there's a respect for a diversity of opinion and certainly some outstanding new fics.
Almost sounds as if that respect didn't exist last year, Carol.
I don’t particularly think CC meant that they weren’t friendly before, I think she meant more that they might be friendlier now , Kaethel. (And darn it all if I could get that comma to go in the right place. Sorry.) Remember that there were reasons that the boards split. (Okay, slap me now.)

Also, there's the whole issue of "genre preference" that influences reading and feedback, too. (e.g. Will Tank ever read a long fic that has kids in it???
Yeah, he’d throw ‘em all into a pool of magma or some such with no redemption.

I believe I read The Red Skirt, CC. And Yesterday Upon the Stair is on my ‘list’. It comes highly recommended.

Sad to say, in the past it has been hard for me to read new authors. Nothing against anyone, but I was burned a few times by authors who never finished their stories for one reason or another, or for new authors that could have seriously benefited from a beta.
There are lots of vignettes, too, Karen. But what do you mean, ‘word of mouth’. Do you mean the IRC?

*I* don't know that they do. I think I probably know most of the icons/old timers, and I can't think of one who has a deliberate policy of not reading newer authors. They might read and not comment, but that's a different thing.
I never meant to insinuate that it was done on purpose (or not always, anyway). And besides you post on newbies, Yvonne. (And it’s very much appreciated, and I’d give a bet to say that I’m not the only one that thinks so.)

Sue described her experiment in anonymous writing. We did a similar thing here a while back, and it was great fun and quite interesting.
Interesting, huh? Hmmm…. maybe that should be done again. But maybe somebody ought to do that and not tell anybody. (Has that ever been done?)

I don't look for stories based on whether the author is an oldie or newbie. I look for stories based on what the story is about.
Yes, so do I, DJ. But like I said, I’ve been watching this for a while, and this is not the trend I see happening from most folks. And yes, I guess a lot of this is based on friendship. If we hadn’t written a fic together, I’m not sure I would have read one of your fics back in in the summer. (And I would have been missing out on a lot.) I’ve since changed my tactics. I don’t just look for the fics with authors that I recognize. Unfortunately, I’ve read a couple of stories that have caused me not to return to that author, and I shouldn’t do that either since every story is different. (I hear I’m missing a good story because of that, and I’m going to give it another try.)

I do try to leave fdk when I can. If you've written a story (or more than one) and I haven't commented, or have yet to do so, I'm deeply apologetic. One day I'll run out of things to write or create and I'll have oodles of time to get caught up on everyone else's stuff.
Yes, DJ, I realize that you are busy, but you have actually left me feedback… (Thanks)

Absolutely! As the 'old group' began to move on - almost en masse, which was a tad unfortunate - there was a very short period when things went very quiet and almost died.
You may actually have just answered all of this LabRat. So why did the oldies move on - almost en masse? Was part of that because the boards split? (I suspect that it was.)

In particular, I've enjoyed the fact that there have been interesting discussions on the show in the LNC thread, again. A couple of you mentioned that there are few discussion threads to match those of the old days. But what's stopping you from starting some? I'd definitely like to see more in that vein.
Weellll….. (Does this count?)

One thing I want to say is that when I started all this, I was NOT begging for feedback. I think some folks have thought that, but I think I get pretty decent feedback. I truly wanted to know why it seemed that for the most part (not always) newbies weren’t getting much feedback. I for one appreciate being told that someone doesn’t want to read my story and why. (And I have been told that by folks.) I guess not everyone would want to be told that, though.

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings, guys.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~