Obviously, any writer would be thrilled to have someone they admire comment on their work. If I wrote a story and someone like, say, CC Aiken, left positive FDK, I'd probably faint clean away. But I haven't really noticed anyone here commenting selectively, that is, leaving FDK only for certain people. It seems that a lot of the older authors aren't commenting on fanfic at *all* anymore. For example, while we do see Wendy and LabRat on the boards, it's not usually in the fanfic folders. I just assumed that it was because real life got in the way or their interests veered in another direction. So I really never viewed it as anything personal. Then again, I haven't posted a story either, so maybe I should just keep my big mouth shut! smile

I also try to email the author of every fic I read on the archive.
I do as well, but I admit that I am not as consistent with this if the author has written a lot of stories. I know they like to hear their work is appreciated as well, it's just that they have so many great stories that I'd be sending them an email every day! Can imagine if I sent Wendy an email for every one of her stories? After a while she might think, I get the point, you annoying girl, leave me alone!

Of course, sometimes that doesn’t work since the emails no longer work.
Nancy, you might try sending them a PM here on the boards. Although obviously not everyone is on the boards, but a lot are. Also I often feel strange sending emails to people I don't know (no idea why) so a PM is more comfortable for me.

lisa in the sky with diamonds