Pretty much. I'd be sitting on IRC, and someone would say "Have you read this story by this author? It's really good! I like how..." and so of course, I'd have to go read it.
Which reminds me of something else I wanted to address from much further back in the thread and which I forgot to mention.

Someone mentioned that oftentimes 'icons' only post feedback on a story when another 'icon' does so first. They follow the herd, IOW. But that is naturally explained by Karen above. It's not unheard of for someone to post feedback on a story then email the rest of their group of friends to say, "Wow! I've just caught this on the mbs - you HAVE to read it! It's terrific!". And then everyone checks it out...and more feedback naturally ensues.

And that same word of mouth process has operated for years on irc, as Karen says. Fanfic was always a hot topic of conversations in #loisclark. Word of mouth recommendations are a natural part of FoLCdom and always have been.

I don't think this is a process that's restricted to 'icons' either. I'd be mighty surprised if all you newbies weren't telling all your friends about your latest great fanfic find here on the forum. goofy

Which is, of course, one way that new authors gain a reputation for good writing and garner more readers as they post each new story.

LabRat (who is now going to go to bed and try and get some sleep, considering it's just after 4 am now... <g>)

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers