LabRat, I don't find your stories at all inaccessible (though I freely admit I'd never heard the word 'timeously' and don't have the first clue what it means!) but I can almost always recognize when a writer is or isn't an American, and you were no exception. It's less to do with overt UKisms than subtle differences in syntax. It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the story one whit, but I can usually spot it.

As an American writing in the HP fandom, I quickly realized that many of the British writers were very offended by Americanisms and thought that if we couldn't make our characters sound Properly British, we ought not be allowed to bother with them. The problem is that most Americans just can't sound authentically British. Some really try. They make an effort to do away with obvious Americanisms, even to the extent of having someone Britpick their stories for them, and they learn all about the difference between pants and trousers and whatever else seems to apply. Others just insert the word 'bloody' here and there, more or less at random, and hope that does the trick. Still others do absolutely nothing, up to and including having Harry et al celebrate Thanksgiving (unbelievable how many times I've seen this in fic...) which makes the UK readers want to come after them with pitchforks. I kind of tried to be in the first group, but in the end, I pretty much decided that no matter what I did, British readers were going to know that I'm not - and if they didn't like it, they could just go read something else.

All that to say that while I can usually spot a UK writer, I've never yet encountered an L&C story where those slight differences have hindered my enjoyment of the story or jerked me out of the imaginative experience. In fact, in many cases, your stories included, those subtle differences in phrasing contribute something vital to the author's unique style, and I'd hate to see them lost for that reason smile

Caroline