Yes, Caroline, what you said about making friends is true. I guess my point is is why some folks (the folks that are still very active) automatically ignore the newer authors. (You know they do.)
Actually, I didn't know this. I'd honestly never given it a thought until you brought it up, and since I don't read much at all when I'm writing (which has pretty much been for the last 9 months straight) I don't have much idea about the newer authors - aside from myself, obviously - or who's reading them. But just to clarify my position, I'll say this: I appreciate feedback on my stories. Genuinely, honestly appreciate it. I'm delighted when someone lets me know they're enjoying something I've written. It's not the reason I write it - I'd do that anyway, for myself, because I'm just wired that way - but it's the reason I post it: because I hope others will enjoy it. But when it comes right down to it, if I had my choice between receiving feedback from an author I admire or having a "conversation" with her about her writing, or the writing process, or fandom in general, or the difference between pants and trousers wink , I'd pick the conversation. It's what makes communities like this fun for me - that readers and writers can mingle as peers and have those sorts of conversations. It is one of my true regrets that real life doesn't afford me the time to be more active here in that way, because it seems like such a nice community.

I also know that I lurked in this fandom for quite a few months without ever posting any feedback. I didn't follow too many WIP's (though I did follow "24 Hours" as it was being posted, as I recall, and loved every single post) but I read at the archive and enjoyed myself so much it was almost indecent, yet never sent a single e-mail to any of the authors I admire. I don't really have a good explanation, either. I just...didn't feel like de-lurking, didn't feel like popping my head out. When I did decide to de-lurk, I did it as an author, not as a reader. That was my choice. But why would I now expect the authors I admired from afar as a reader to drop everything and rush to read my stories? If they do, I'm pleased and I hope they enjoy themselves, but I don't expect it of them any more than I expect it of anyone else.

Just my .02 smile

Caroline