I agree with you - there's been quite a change in these boards in the last year, I think, and it's due to all those people who have called themselves "newbies" - there's a respect for a diversity of opinion and certainly some outstanding new fics.
Almost sounds as if that respect didn't exist last year, Carol. wink

I'm just back from a long hiatus from all things online, and I'm delighted to find the same friendly atmosphere here that I unwillingly left (because work got in the way :p )

The thing is, I'm not sure whether I'm considered an old-timer or not, or whether I'm part of what you call the "in-crowd", but I know I used to be a newbie, just like everyone else. And when I was a newbie, the fanfic "icons" of that time welcomed me with open arms, although they didn't know me at all. They were very encouraging and helpful, and I truly appreciated that. smile That's why I don't really understand the concept of in-crowd being exclusive. I never felt things were like that here. Quite the opposite.

Just my 2 cents' worth. smile

Kaethel smile (old newbie... new oldie...)

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~