mr luthor, normally i'd take the time to welcome a new member, but, under the circumstances, i hope you'll excuse me if i'm not quite as warm with you. still, i hope the time you spend with us has a positive effect on your life.

i can't imagine it would be very fun stuck alone in a bunker with such a poor food supply. but then, you're not really that alone, are you? i mean, despite the fact that you initially stated that you have only the rats for company and no contact with the outside world other than your computer, you've also claimed to be working with lois lane.

given the circumstances of your life these past few years, the conflicting information in your own description, and the fact that the lois lane we know would never help you to harm superman, i can only conclude that, starved for human companionship, you have begun to hallucinate. it certainly doesn't seem that you have the facilities to make another clone. it's a shame to see a man of such great potential brought so low, but i suppose it's only fitting, given what you did with that potential.

i'm assuming that you lack of human contact also explains the spelling and grammar errors in your post. after a while with only the rats for company, little things like the difference between "it's" and "its" must seem rather trivial. ah, and the finer points of civilization used to be so important to you. well, at least lois isn't editing your copy.

as for your mythological analogies, i fear i must take exception to your comparison of zeus and superman. zeus was a lecher, often known to be casually unfaithful to his spouse. he was the head of an empire established through conquest, and he used his power primarily to suit his own whims. he seduced women whenever he felt like it, then left them and their children to fend for themselves. on those occasions when his advances were rebuffed, rather than accepting the lady's will, he became angry and resorted to violence and trickery.

ultimately, however, zeus's empire came to nothing. his people were conquered, his stories subsumed into a new culture under a different name, and, in time, the conquerers, too, became a part of ancient history. today, zues is not worshiped, but rather considered a quaint old legend, a character to consider when idly discussing culture or philosophy or to be inserted in some piece of entertainment, usually as a background character in some movie or tv show about hercules.

on the whole, i do believe you make a better zeus than superman ever will.

as for your other analogies, hera was known mainly for being upset about her husband's frequent tyrsts and aprhodite was known not for brains but fickleness, vanity, and a love afair carried on behind her poor husband's crippled back. neither seems to be a good fit for the lois we know, and niether one seems particularly flattering, either. still, if you have taken some spinal injury from the collapse of that train station, it's something to think about.

i think, if you're looking for a mythological analogy for superman, you'd be better off looking north. thor, not a ruler, but a warrior. one of incredible strength and skill, who faught alongside mortals to help them. someone who, even when faced with impossible odds, still chose to keep trying, because it was the right thing to do. someone who wasn't a leader by choice, but who sometimes found himself with people behind him, willing to follow, because they trusted and respected him. of course, there is the little matter of ragnarok and destiny. happily, though, superman has a better destiny than thor.

all that aside, i have some questions for you, mr luthor. first of all, just what are you doing here? have you come simply to gloat that you almost have something that may, if you can somehow get it (or superman) in the right place at the right time, hurt superman? seems a tad premature. almost doesn't count except in horeshoes and hand grenades, and it certainly doesn't count when you're talking about lois lane or superman. you've had superman trapped in a kryptonite cage, but, even so, he escaped and recovered while you tried to kill yourself and, it seems, failed even at that. oh yes, let's not forget the fact that, in the middle of all that, your fiancee rejected you at the altar.

so, really... what are you doing here? you don't seem to be in a position to gloat, and it doesn't seem like you're looking for anything else. have you been stuck down there so long, so desperate for a non-imaginary friend, that you're turning to a community of people, who, with one or two notable exceptions, actively dislike you (to put it mildly)? if so, i pity you.

Paul

When in doubt, think about penguins. It probably won't help, but at least it'll be fun.