Originally Posted by VirginiaR
Originally Posted by LabRat
Oh, Suggs, I am so with you, there. I find magic tricks and plots utterly boring and I've often been puzzled by the fact that almost every US show tends to have at least one episode devoted to a magic plot. Like the 'boxing episode'. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a cultural reason why this is so and why these two subjects should hold so much fascination for US plot writers?
As an American, Labby, I'm just as perplexed as you. From what I can tell neither of these things are really that popular with the general American public, only with Hollywood writers, actors, and producers. huh I hear of more boxing movies (or episodes on TV) than of actual boxing matches and the only place magic is popular is when visiting Las Vegas (not even with kids at birthday parties as shown on TV). I always thought it was a sign of the times, something that was popular with the general public in the 50s-70s, but now -- with its continued perseverance in Hollywood (and really nowhere else) -- I'm beginning to wonder if Hollywood is being lobbied to make these sort of films and episodes. That wouldn't surprise me. Companies promote their products in films and TV, so why not sports and (the magic) industry?

I don't get the appeal either. The lobbying theory makes absolute sense to me. And now onwards to....

3.13 The Dad Who Came In From The Cold.

Great cold opening. I was enjoying this episode, it was nice seeing Jimmy actually get a plot devoted to him. Unfortunately, it seemed to all fall apart at the end with people knowing or expecting other characters to know things they had no reason to, and I would like to know why Clark's cape is bulletproof now, since it never has been before. Also, who took the photo of Clark saving the plane? From the angle it was taken the person would have to be flying themselves. Insanity.

Overall though, I liked the episode, it was mostly well written, the acting was good, and it was well directed. I would have expected spies coming to Metropolis to actually have a plan to deal with Superman interfering considering they were up to no good. IDIOTS!! What was the thinking "Eh who cares? It's only Superman, I'm sure he won't stop us, or even if we succed in all our plans, I'm sure he won't mind us murdering his friends. Even if he does, we can easily deal with an angry superhuman who is as near to a God as anyone can get, no problem." Like I said, idiots.

On a side note, that plane rescue was good, and so were the effects shown of Jimmy falling off the building.

Rating time....

7/10.

P.S. It would be so cool if this Clark could meet Batman, the Doctor (from Doctor Who) or Spider-Man. Are there any fanfics where these meetings happen?