S9, E16 - "Checkmate" Oh, goody. Another episode without Lois. [Linked Image] This is the episode which confirmed my theory that this show wasn't really about Clark and his journey to becoming Superman, anymore. It had been taken over by the Justice League. I finally figured out who these chess players were: that Bureau 39-ish group I'd seen trying to overpower Justice League in the animated JLU show.

Any secret government group bent on treating *anyone* who's different as an enemy isn't a good group and I'm glad The Blur didn't decide to join them. Anyway, any group that requires it's members to die to leave it, isn't a group worth being in. Also, that Checkmate doesn't distinguish between normal humans (like Oliver), meteor infected (like Chloe), and aliens (like Zod) tells me that this group really isn't about the safety of the country, but in controlling people any way necessary. It confuses me why Waller would want the Blur to join Checkmate to assist her battle against the Kryptonians, though. Does she not realize that The Blur is alien? I'm assuming that Checkmate wants Chloe because of what Chloe knows about JL and because of her hacking skills.

I have no idea what's going on with Tess. In one episode she's sleeping with Zod, playing power games. In the next, she's playing bait to capture Green Arrow, proving that she's waist deep in this anti-alien group, which is bent on destroying Zod and the other Kryptonians. So, is she trying to be a mole is Zod's organization for Checkmate? I can't see Waller approving of her methods. Or by re-joining the Checkmate group, is she trying to be a mole there? My theory is that she only cares about herself and she's using everyone for her own game. She wants to have an 'in' with whichever group will win in the end, so she's joining everyone. Still doesn't make me like her very much. I'm glad Oliver told her off at the end of the episode. She deserved it.

I did like seeing John Jones using all his powers. That was cool. I believe that if he had told Oliver and Clark WHY he didn't want to get them involved with his investigation into Checkmate, they would've been more than happy to let him take lead... but communication really isn't JL's strong suit at the moment. At least, Clark realizes this by the end of the episode, proving that one can teach lunkheads new tricks. Although, learning this lesson and actually putting it into practice are two different things.

Yea! For Martian Manhunter dance for erasing Waller's mind so she doesn't remember Green Arrow's, WatchTower, or The Blur's secret identities. clap

Who left that red chess piece on Waller's board at the end? Was it the JL group? huh

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.