I'm certainly one of those that is terrible at feedback. I'm trying to get better at figuring out how to say what I like or don't about a story, but usually the best I can come up with is that I liked it or didn't. And it's been said time and time again in multiple places, not just on these boards, that it's not very helpful to say that.

I'm an incredibly voracious and eclectic reader. I literally read anything that catches my interest. But I have problems seeing plot holes, or catching subtleties in character development, or expressing myself to describe specifics about what I liked. I'm always very appreciative of the time and effort that goes into making a good story, and I've read enough bad fic over the years (some of it even published!) that I'm even more appreciative of the support all of you authors give each other to create the archive of amazing fic we have here. Unfortunately most of the time, I literally can't think of anything to say besides "I liked it, thanks for sharing."

I read so much, I've started avoiding most incomplete stories, especially those being actively posted. Because by the time the week or so til the next part has passed, I've gone on to read and finish other stories and books and articles and things I'm researching and I've usually completely lost the thread of the story that's being posted. Which means I've got to go back and read the whole thing to get back in the flow, and that can actually make it so I don't enjoy the story as much because by the time the end gets there, I've read the beginning quite a few times. (run on sentences ftw)

I can only read something for the first time once, and I really value that experience. Getting in the mood that's being set, being immersed in the world, caught in their lives, watching the story unfold...I find very few stories that can capture me in the same way after the first reading. The few that do are among my most favorites. That's not to say I don't enjoy re-reading things, I do, very much. But that first time is special, and I hate wasting it on chapters dribbled out over time.

So, I'm happy to post pop poms in the fdk to let folks know that I'm anticipating reading it, but I haven't really gotten the impression that's helpful either. Reading here that it is helpful, I'll be sure to do it more (needs to find the code for the pom pom smiley)