When did this happen? I don't remember that being a thing
It was one of the things that lead to the creation of these boards... Zoom's boards were where all fic went before. There was a bit of an acrimonious split, and here we are. Zoom's boards still have a fic section, but they are completely devoid of commenters at this point.

IRC = internet relay chat. Like I said, it is old school.
IRC information
We even got together from time to time - LAFF (L.A. FoLC Fest) was held every year starting when the show was still on the air. I went in 2002, I believe. We were a fairly close-knit group. That's part of what makes this fandom special, was how friendly everyone was. But again, time marches on, and it's hard to bring in new blood for a show that is no longer on the air. There's been some nostalgia lately, thanks to Dean Cain (and Superman) being on Supergirl...I wish the show would wind up on Netflix.

So...it's not all about the story comments, though I guess fic is what these boards are all about. A lot of my FoLC friends were into gossip, and that's fine, too. It's about the interaction and the friendships. And, of course, loving a show that was fun to watch and tickled our imaginations.

"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."