Since I brought up the angst issue, I feel like I should reply again. My issue has been more that I look to fiction as a way to relax from RL, and I need to be in the right frame of mind for angst. In thinking about this issue, I've realized that my personal preference is to decide whether or not to read those stories after they're finished, and will likely do more of that in the future. Just my own preference, and at my age I don't see myself changing.

I agree with Mike and AnnieL. I got interested in the show L&C because of the banter and lighthearted moments. Basically I saw the pilot as a romantic comedy. No, the lighthearted moments don't have to be the entire story. The angst in the show rarely went beyond a single episode, although there are some notable exceptions. When the angst, which I feel is darker than drama, is the primary focus of a story and the lighthearted moments aren't there for relief, it's challenging for me to come back to each chapter and feel it's spiraling into more darkness. I like to feel that what I read is something I can control. When life is full of drama, it can be essential for emotional and physical health for a few minutes to find a relief. And not everyone finds that in angst. Nor does everyone find it in comedy, which can be challenging to write. Laughter does reduce the stress hormone level, which lowers blood pressure, pulse rate and has other healthy side effects.

And I think every writer should write what they want. That doesn't mean I will read every story, nor do I expect every reader to read and enjoy mine.

Last edited by cuidadora; 01/14/17 06:03 PM. Reason: typo correction

Cuidadora

"Honey, we didn't care if you were a Russian or a Martian... You were ours... and we weren't giving you to anybody." ~ Martha in Strange Visitor

"A love that risks nothing is worth nothing." ~ Jonathan in Big Girls Don't Fly