Lynn, my heart goes out to you. I know a little about what you're going through. In 1991, when our oldest child was twelve, he was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive form of cancer called PNET (Primitive Neural Ecto-dermal Tumor - genetically related to Ewing's sarcoma) and died sixteen months later following two major surgeries, months of chemotherapy, and multiple radiation treatments. It wasn't easy - in fact, sometimes it still isn't easy - but my wife and I have stayed together, trying to raise the four younger siblings. We had tons of pressure on us, and even though I never seriously considered leaving, I understood why other men would.

The problem? That's the coward's way out. If life were easy, anyone could do it. You are a hero, Lynn, along with all the other parents who have placed the health and welfare of their children before their own comfort. I'm sure that there have been those who mean well who have suggested institutional care for your son. And you deserve a huge hug and constant approbation for staying with him and taking care of him. I hope and pray that there is some relief for you in the future, although nothing is guaranteed.

I wish I could do something concrete for the two of you, but since I can't, I'll have to settle for applauding you for your faithfulness. May the Lord grant you peace and rest from your labors, and may your way always be clear - even if it's a steep and rocky grade.

For Lynn: clap clap thumbsup

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing