Originally Posted by Mike M
I don't remember writing that but who knows I don't remember a lot of things I did last week...

Actually, I think it might have been my comment Terry was referring to, and I appreciate your insight even if I have a different take.

Originally Posted by scifiJoan
As a writer, it's frustrating if people respond to your story, "That's out of character" and immediately drop it. If they'd continued to read, they might've found out why this was happening. I think that is part of what Terry is saying.

And perhaps I should have been more clear on that. I definitely agree that it depends on the situation, and I'm all about unique circumstances. I always try to read or at least skim through most of the story, but a lot of times I can tell within the first few-several chapters whether it's something I'll like or not. It just depends.

Take a storyline similar to, say, the third season finale or TPVLL/DLW where Lois and Clark are torn apart enough to feel that anguish but ultimately solve the issue as a team and become stronger both individually and as a couple. Their relationship grew stronger and they weren't apart for very long. It was ultimately hopeful and humorous and uplifting. You can find that same strength in darker stories where fascinating circumstances are explored; I just prefer to explore it in more lighthearted circumstances most of the time.

To clarify, I really am pretty tolerant of what writers decide to do with characters. It's only when there's repeated, major character changes (that don't fit with unique circumstances) that I decide to leave it. It's just that between that and the overwhelming amount of angsty stories in this fanbase, there's not always a whole lot for me to read. That's why I don't comment much. I always try to be positive but helpful when I do comment, though, because I know you all work incredibly hard on stories. I appreciate it, and I'd write them myself if I had the time/creativity.

I also apologize if I got this thread a little off-topic. I was a little hesitant to post because I was afraid of offending someone by mentioning characterization/tone, but ultimately, OP did ask. I just thought I'd mention it because I know I'm not the only one with these opinions out there.

That being said, the best way to get more readers is to continuously try to improve. Improve on technical writing. Improve on complexity. Improve on characterization. Improve on character arcs. Or maybe, if you write darker stories, try to get some humor in there somewhere to reach a broader audience. If you write lighter stories, try to add some drama here and there to spice things up a bit. It never hurts to broaden your horizons, even if you do prefer one style over another.

"I really do believe that we're all put here on this earth, or whatever planet we're put on, to do better than we think we can. To be kind, helpful, generous, and forgiving."
"You know something, CK? She's a class act."
"I've always thought so."