Been reading this posts (and the others) for awhile now and decided I'd stop hesitating and say something:

Ann, you said:
Being told that a loved one is dead creates a horrible moment. But it's not the moment that's the worst thing. The worst thing is waking up the next morning and remembering: he is dead. And waking up the morning after that, and remembering: he is dead. And waking up the third morning and remembering... and the fourth... and the fifth... and the sixth... and the one thousand three hundred and fortieth.... That
There's still a cultural/religious/call it what you will difference here. Some of us don't feel that way about death. My mother passed away 15 years ago. While, yes, it was a horrible moment for me in some ways (most of them selfish), I am happy for her, because I do believe in something beyond death. Had I not believed this, yes, I'd still be waking up on day #5,000-something miserable. But instead I choose to focus on the "happier" aspects of her death: she's no longer in pain, and she's with her God and I'll see her again. So to me, death is not final; nor is it an event to make me miserable every day when I awake as you suggest.

And I'll admit that in comparison to TOGOM, I felt "cheated" in DToSC because we only see a very brief view of Clark's grief, as opposed to what we see of Lois' in TOGOM.

Just my 2 cents.

Jo