Then she finds out that one of her great-grandsons is alive, but she continues to grieve for him as though he was dead like his brother, although he clearly isn't.

Conclusions: TOGOMs are the same as any other deathfics.
Alternate conclusion: This woman has a mental defect. She is treating her living descendants as if they are dead. That's a horrible way to behave towards anyone, and she should be made aware that her behavior is not just abnormal, it's abberant.

Life is for living, not simply an opportunity to bemoan one's actual or potential losses. She lost a son? It's a terrible thing to happen to any parent, and since it happened to me I feel a bit irked by this example because parents who love their children don't mourn their deaths before they die. They mourn their bad choices, their mistakes, their own griefs and pains, even their long and eventually fatal illnesses, but a parent who finds out that the child he or she thought was dead but is still alive rejoices. The parent does not continue to grieve over a live child. Therefore your parable is invalid.

Ann, please stop trying to be the arbiter of everyone else's tastes. There are some stories you like that I don't, but that's okay because we're different people with different likes and dislikes. If you have actual evidence of some bias towards Lois dying in various horrible ways just because the authors like to kill and torture her, then present it.

But a morbid tale like this one with a mentally unbalanced central character doesn't bolster your case, and in fact it diminishes your case. If someone has to manufacture scenarios to support his or her point of view, that someone's point of view isn't based on reality. And I'd say that about anyone who tries to present any opinion as fact without supporting evidence.

Please don't take this as a flame. I'm only pointing out the illogic of your stated position. And like some others, I'm a bit tired of Alice and her deathfic flamingos by now.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing