I just felt so helpless when people didn't seem able to understand my objections to that suggestion.
I don't know why you think people don't understand what you're saying. The level of intelligence found on these boards is high enough for me to confidently say, at least the majority gets you perfectly.

What you fail to come to terms with is that they understand, and still disagree. That happens sometimes in life.

In real life, when your friends disagree with you on a certain topic, do you bring it up again and again to try to convince them, numerous times? I bet you don't. We all like to keep our friends. I fail to see how this is different.

There's nothing left of this horse but bloody pulp.

Carol: You say we can't be sure of your or Ann's motivations, and that's fair enough to say. We're not mind readers. But consider that anti-deathfic threads are just that, anti-deathfic, and by definition, are opposed to this genre, thus the goal must be to discourage further posts of fic that falls into this genre. I would have thought this was obvious.

Julie

Mulder: Imagine if you could come back and take out five people who had caused you to suffer. Who would they be?
Scully: I only get five?
Mulder: I remembered your birthday this year, didn't I, Scully?

(The X-Files)