Can't resist posting this.

This boy is called Darin:

[Linked Image]

A few years ago, he came second in the first season of Swedish Idol. (No one can remember who won.) Since his breakthrough, Darin has been the biggest idol among Swedish teenaged girls.

As a teacher, I just received a number of texts that my students have to read, and then they have to write an essay about one or two of these texts. One of the texts was about the fact that thousands of Swedish girls write Darinfics. In most of these fics, the young girls themselves meet and fall in love with Darin, and he falls in love with them, of course.

A popular subgenre is the Darin deathfics. The most common theme in these fics is that Darin and the girl who wrote the story are prevented from being together, so they commit suicide together. In other stories, the girl dies for one reason or another, and Darin grieves terribly for her. Often he commits suicide so that he can be reunited in death with his loved one.

My point? Uh... I don't know if I have one. But judging from the Darinfics, it is popular among young Swedish girls to fantasize about their own death and what their death would do to Darin if he loved them. And they seem to love to imagine that Darin would kill himself for their sake.

You know what the Bible says? The Lord disciplines those whom he loves (Hebrews 12:6). Maybe in fanfics we should talk about the "Lords" (or Ladies) of their own fanfic worlds, the writers, who sometimes kill those whom they love. And sometimes they drive those whom they love almost crazy with grief by killing the woman their loved one loves. (I'm talking about the Darinfic writers, of course. laugh )

Ann