John: How's the headache? Any better? rotflol Did you hear that, Nigel? John thinks e-mail accounts are secure from us.

Yes, yes he should have. Which in some ways makes Lois's anger at him even less understandable. She is mad at him because he did not run to her when she called, but she has gotten mad at him so many times for it, he is trying to do better.
Yes, he is getting better on the checking up on her and his over-protectiveness, but he still has a long way to go. Also, Lois's anger isn't always logical.

Is there no where in Metropolis free from Lex's all-seeing eye.
Um.... no.

Clark, offer to take her somewhere private and safe.
Yes, but Clark doesn't know what she's thinking.

She really should ask Clark do to a looking around to see if anyone is following them.
LOIS: [Linked Image] Yes, that would have been good.

no, the question is, "why was I such an idiot to think I could keep it a secret from Lois", you should have insisted on telling her when Wells knocked.
CLARK: /back during make-out session with Revenge-addled Lois/ Minha, I want nothing more than to make love to you, but I've got to go out for a meeting. While I'm out, why don't you just contemplate what it will be like making love to Superman. Okay? Bye-now.

But they still are in the park. He really should ask if she would like to go to his apartment so they can actually speak without being overheard.
Canon Lois told canon Clark that she knew in a park. It's symbolic. laugh

I have to say that in WHALTTA they did way too much talking out in the open.
Not just in WHALTTA.

So, he thinks SM was her investigation, and SM=CK was her discovery? He thinks that is what she wants to talk about.
CLARK: Right. I forgot she wanted to talk to me about some investigation.

[so frustrated that] they are both too focused on their own concerns.
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Clark, she said need, let her go first.
But she's always interrupting him whenever he wants to tell her his secret. That has to stop sometime.

Now that was just plain rude on her part.
Well, let's just say, Lois knows how to get what she wants.

“Lex proposed,” she whispered when he caught up.
JOHN: [Argh!] she should not have started this way.
She wanted to get his attention and fast about how important what she had to say way. This did that.

Clark:How about "no", "never", "not in a million years". Things like that.

Lois:But he might have gotten angry and killed me.

Reader:Oh, this would have been such a better way to go.
Well, Lex killing Lois would have definitely shortened the story, but then we wouldn't have gotten to my wonderful horrible scene.

sadand also he is not listening or thinking. He knows Lex is an evil man who will kill, so he really does know Lois can feel unsafe.
Canon Lois never felt unsafe with Lex, because she never distrusted him. Lois hasn't shown that she distrusts Lex, so how will Clark know that she feels unsafe around him?

She really, really should stop to consider what is happening to Clark, and why he is reacting so.
As you said it before, they are both self-absorbed with their own problems at the moment that they cannot think what the other one is going through.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.