They looked at one another and then spoke in unison again. “Do you mind if I go first?” he said as she said, “I need to go first.”
Clark, she said need, let her go first.

“Lois, there’s something I’ve been meaning to say to you for a long time and I really think…” Clark said, before she started walking again.
Now that was just plain rude on her part.

“Lex proposed,” she whispered when he caught up.
dance touching. OK, maybe I am a bit crazy, but I am trying to squeeze any joy I can out of this part.

Lois waved her hands around her face as if swatting at flies, and he let go.
frown she is being more forceful in ending contact with Clark than with Lex.

“What do you think I said?” she snapped. “I told him I needed time to think about it. What else could I say to such a man?”
Clark:How about "no", "never", "not in a million years". Things like that.

Lois:But he might have gotten angry and killed me.

Reader:Oh, this would have been such a better way to go.

He placed his hand against a tree as he felt his entire body physically wince in pain.
frown

It was as if her words had pierced his skin with a piece of sharp Kryptonite, making his head spin and it difficult for him to breathe.
frown and also he is not listening or thinking. He knows Lex is an evil man who will kill, so he really does know Lois can feel unsafe.

She had walked on and then, upon realizing that he wasn’t keeping pace, returned. “Clark, you need to keep up. I…” She glanced around again.
She really, really should stop to consider what is happening to Clark, and why he is reacting so.

John Pack Lambert